Custom Search

Monday, July 09, 2007

Lonehill - A Story Of 'Greed & Stupidity'

Returned from a glorious break in the bush, where the animals are honestly transparent about surviving by the bush 'law of the jungle', to a deluge of messages on my answering machine about the Lonehill shopping centre developers... and snippets of Noseweek articles (July 2007) piled up under my door .

Seems that Noseweek - http://www.noseweek.co.za/ - have broken a story on the Lonehill Shopping Centre developers which documents an apparently outrageous tale of 'Greed and Stupidity', and community disregard, that appears to have netted them a property asset-pile of billions.

See article link: The faces that launched a thousand shops - 'Notorious Joburg rogue developers, the freewheeling Theodosiou brothers have amassed a gigantic fortune parking flagrantly illegal shopping centres all over town'

See article link: Greed and stupidity - 'THE THEODOSIOU brothers inherited a property dynasty from their father, but by 1995 greed and stupidity had reduced them to bankruptcy.'

Lonehill Residents Association (LRA) Chairman - Rob Gillespie - is quoted as saying: 'These guys are bad news. You cannot believe anything they say, you cannot work with them. They're a law unto themselves'.

I can only raise a wry smile as I read the entire story. Those who have followed my writings on Lonehill will know that none of what I read comes as any surprise. Nevertheless, I'd still be interested to hear the developers side of the story.

Even I have to admit finding myself at times both bemused and exhibiting begrudging recognition for what they appear to have 'achieved' with such brazen chutzpah (although I can't get around the extreme disregard they seem to show for the rights of others). They clearly live by their own rules and I'll bet that they enjoy the notoriety. Only in the wild west!

If there is one thing that I have learnt it is that almost everyone in this community has a different perception of reality... and many have a very different view on what is morally-acceptable behavior.

Lest anyone should forget, even voluntary community do-gooders can fall into the trap of collective stupidity (I am reminded of the feedback of unbelievably stupidly-infantile behaviour at an infamous LRA board-meeting held around this time last year) which led to my return to producing pointed commentary such as in this link from Oct.22, 2006: Community Leadership for DUMMIES..!.

Power and control exercised behind closed doors can lead 'well-intentioned' people to make stupid decisions, just as greed can.

For me, openness, transparency, honesty and integrity have sadly proven to be the rarest of commodities on offer in this community, and experience tells me that no one should be thought to be any more morally-superior to anyone else lest one wants to be wholly-disappointed.

As bordering on the cynical as that may seem, it is perhaps the perfect base for no-nonsense negotiation between all stakeholders (assume that everyone has a vested interest and press for a declaration of such), and for ensuring the continual questioning and open recording of all contracts and commitments that affect this community.

Since launching the Lonehill security initiative in 2000 I've seen enough 'moral high ground' halos slipping from local heads in our real-life soap opera to produce a script worthy of Endemol (based in Lonehill) shooting as an international series soapy.

The script could have all the hallmarks of a fiction best-seller: Crime, greed, stupidity, ego, evil, deceit, arrogance, skullduggery, intrigue, conniving, collusion, murder, death, terrorism, horrific shoot-outs, drug-dealing, incompetence, apathy ... with 'rogue billionaires' thrown in.

But, stupidity and sarcasm aside, the past is the past, this is one resident who doesn't have time to waste on the pathetic.

The point is: What is the LRA going to do about the shopping centre issue?

Is it an issue that affects residents? Is it an LRA issue? Should the LRA be proactive on behalf of residents... or reactive, leaving affected residents to fend for themselves? Should the LRA be providing leadership in finding a solution to the problem... or just sitting back and watching the situation unfold at its own pace?

From what I read there appear to be two current possibilities discussed: The building alterations get approved retrospectively and they stay as they are (with consequent inconveniences for nearby residents remaining as status quo), cementing another fortune for the developers and encouraging others to do the same, or any illegal structures get demolished by Metro council order.

Where do they demolish it back too... back to the original 'low impact neighbourhood convenience centre'? Seems like a big lose-lose-lose mess for everyone involved. Is there a solution? I believe so.

Here's a little clue, the old saying goes, '..when life gives you lemons, make lemonade'.

Speaking as a business strategist, just as I saw the possibilities of our initiative becoming a HUGE SUCCESS (which it still has, despite the delaying hiccups of recent debacles), I can again see the opportunity for some hugely innovative solutions that can come from this latest exposé that can be a MAJOR WIN for everyone of the stakeholders involved. Yes, I mean everyone!

Having done my voluntary bit to inititiate and activily participate for well-over my promised three years in driving what is now a +R100 Million Lonehill initiative from a zero-revenue base - introducing the principle of cash-positive project management to our then cash-strapped community structure - I'll happily declare my vested interest in providing these new solutions on a transactional revenue-fee basis. No solution, no pay, no nonsense.

Those who consider themselves to be key decision-making stakeholders who can benefit from such solutions are welcome to contact me. Just don't expect any pussy-footing around. I ain't got time to waste with stupidity and petty egos... the stakes are too high for all stakeholders to play games right now. I will treat every concerned such stakeholder contacting me with the healthy disrespect I have implied above in seeking a WIN for all - no one will be regarded as more pious than the other. Stay away from me if you fear common-sense finding of a workable solution. My questions will be direct and pointed to get to a solution in shortest possible time.

Regards
Trevor Nel - 011 705-2790
Lonehill Resident

No comments: