Custom Search

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Lonehill: Grateful Thanks & A Simple Christmas Wish

Christmas is the time for giving thanks... and I want everyone of the LRA volunteers - especially those involved in the various Security portfolios and weekly meetings - to know that I offer my sincere thanks to them for getting the LRA process back to where it was with a reasonable semblance of management order.

As one who has been there, done that, and got the T-shirts in more ways than one on the LRA, I know exactly what these people do above and beyond the call of duty.

It's nice to see all the soft issues - the Lonehill Fun Day, Carols By Candlelight, colour Newsletter, the Evironment portfolio, the Hamper Funds - all again beginning to approach something of the standards and potential we expected of them when launched with mass contribution and participation during the early days of the Lonehill Community/Security Initiative.

I won't repeat my statements made in the blog post Lonehill: Give Credit Where Credit Is Due as they still hold good today.

My one simple wish for Lonehill this Christmas is that our leadership reread every comment I have made in this blog - http://www.lonehillaction.blogspot.com/ - which comments I unequivocally stand by, and get over their clear reluctance to broaden the community strategy debate with as many people as possible who want to participate in the growth of the Lonehill Community Process.

Right now, it seems that leadership is adopting an 'if we ignore them, they might go away' stance to anyone who makes a comment that pricks at their sensitivities. And they are right... they will go away... this attitude WILL deepen disinterest and broaden community apathy for the serious hard issues - i.e. the broadest possible contribution to our collective community security. This should have been the most important driving factor of our LRA structure... and I sense (from the limited feedback we do get at feedback meetings) that it has been the weakest.

I for one, have already said to myself 'why bother' after attending the last feedback meeting, and leaving unimpressed and disappointed with the attitude that I heard and experienced at that meeting - see http://lonehillaction.blogspot.com/2007/11/lonehill-how-bumbling-leadership-bursts.html - and then I remember holding Steve Parrymore's bullet-riddled body together... and remember the chill that hit me as I first thought it was my family being wiped out in our lounge on that fateful night. Then I hear of the family attacked in their home in Fourways last week... with two killed and three in hospital.

That's why I bother...!

So to repeat my Christmas wish... LRA leadership, please broaden the community strategy debate by doing what you clearly refrain from doing - bring all leaders and interested stakeholders together to discuss a BIGGER future for this project.

That said, I repeat my grateful thanks for the voluntary efforts contributing to what we get right now..!

And, I encourage you... we can do SO MUCH BETTER as a community initiative..!

Merry Christmas and a thoughtful, prosperous New Year to you all.

Regards
Trevor Nel - Lonehill Resident
011 - 705-2790

No comments: